I’m about to break my first rule of Blogging, BUT, I’ve been asked this funny question enough times now I’ve finally decided to write about it.
The Question: “What makes your blog so good and how do I do it?”
My Response: “Surely it must be my rapier wit, solid grasp of grammar, and charming good looks? *grins, clears throat* Um, no? Well then, I’ve no idea.”
All I can offer to you is what I like and don’t like about blogs in general so here’s my list, I hope you find a gem;
- DO NOT OVERSELL YOURSELF. Um, ya, it’s your blog, it’s about you, written by you, and for you, and don’t you think that’s enough YOU in the room? Don’t keep pounding your products/books/gimmicks down our throats with every single post. If we like you, and we’re at your blog, we’re smart enough to find all the pertinent info we need/want about you. Got a special event or new release? Post away! Just avoid the “it’s all me, all the time, and please buy my stuff!’ syndrome. It’s a total groaner and a top ten causer of mini throw-up.
- MAKE IT PRETTY. Come on, we all know we’re visual creatures by nature, so put some piccy’s in, mix up your font colour, caps, bold etc, it really does help break up all those boring words we love to write.
- DON’T PREACH. Um, ya, *clears throat* just skip ahead to the next point. 😛
- KEEP IT SHORT. Remember, you’re not the only busy person in the world. I really try to avoid posting anything over 500 words. If people can see the whole post in a short scroll they’re much more likely to invest the time to read it.
- BE YOU. Show me who you really are and let me relate to you. Facebook was stated to be one of the greatest depressants because people only post the VERY best parts of their lives. Don’t let your blog be all sparkles and rainbows ALL the time. Be positive sure, but keep it real too. 🙂
- BE PASSIONATE. A blog is not just a tool in the toolkit, so don’t write it that way. Write it like you mean it. That way, even if you screw it up, or if I don’t agree with your stance, I’ll know you didn’t just splat random words on the page and it was actually something you cared and spoke from the heart about.
- ALWAYS END WITH A QUESTION. People want to leave their opinion on something. It makes them feel special. Plus, it’s my fav part of writing and reading a blog. So much talent, wisdom, and humour out there, tap it!!!
Well that about sums it up for me, please have at it, I can’t wait to hear your thoughts, it seems we all could use some great tips when it comes to blogging. 🙂Keep an eye out for my upcoming follow up blog topics *cackles* – What turns people on/off in regards to blog design and layout. – Tweeting – how to use it to your BEST advantage! – New Years post, there will be resolutions made by YOU, and I will track them and hound you until completion. BE WARNED!!!